Writing is not easy, and there are plenty of people out there who will tear your writing apart. If you want to be successful as a writer, you need to be able to take the bad along with the good. Sometimes the worst review of your writing is what will push you to become better, so here are five harsh but need to know writing tips.
1. Every first draft is crap. No matter how great of a writer you are, your first draft sucks. And your second draft will suck. And probably the third. Most professional writers will tell you that they are never done writing draft. They just get to a point where their publisher demands the manuscript. Having this attitude will help you to continuously revise your writing so that it is the best it can possibly be.
2. Get ready for rejection. Develop a thick hide. If the littlest criticism makes you break out in crocodile tears, then maybe writing isn’t for you. There is always going to be someone who finds something wrong with your writing or hates your style or hates your subject matter. If you can’t tough it out, then you are going to be devastated every time you share your writing.
3. Inspiration will not just come to you. You have to get off your lazy butt and go find it. Some people think writing is an easy career. They think they will have a brilliant idea, write about it, and become famous overnight. These are the people you have never heard of because they went nowhere. Get out of the house, live your life, have adventures, and then you will have the inspiration that you need.
4. Read a lot. If you do not have time for reading, then you do not have time for writing, and you will not have the tools to write. In other words, reading teaches you how to write well. If you can’t carve out some time in your busy schedule to read, then there is no way you will ever be able to write.
5. There will always be better writers than you. There will always be smarter writers than you who can use a more interesting style or more engaging syntax. So tell the stories that only you can tell. Look for things to write about that you know a lot about. Chances are that those writers who are better and smarter than you cannot match up to you in your area of expertise. Use this to your advantage when you write.
If you feel discouraged after reading these, then there is hope for you as a writer. You are able to accept the bad comments and use them to your advantage. Take these tips to heart, and use them to improve your writing.